Wednesday 2 June 2010

Eng-er-laand


With the World Cup looming (squad announced yesterday), St Georges crosses adorning cars, pubs and supermarkets (has anyone been to Tescos lately!?) I would like to dedicate my post today to our little country, England.

Now, let's be honest, we moan about where we live A LOT! The weather, the economy, working hours, bank holidays (and the distinct lack thereof), price of stuff compared with the US... but let's think about this a little more carefully. This morning I chose what I wanted to wear, not every lady in the world had that choice to make. We live in a culture which celebrates diversity, and in an age where young people are encouraged to develop their own sense of style and identity.

Something I experienced on a recent trip I took (to a country not very far away) has made me appreciate where I live so much more. As reasonably educated people in the 21st Century, should we not have evolved as human beings enough to make racism a long forgotten memory? I will never again take for granted how it feels to walk down the street without feeling frightened. Although it is a human right, we must remember how lucky we really are. The diversity and tolerance we have in England is something to be cherished, and not ever taken for granted.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post Back to Top